Monday, May 9, 2011

How I learn English?

Well, I remembered learning English at the age of 7. Still the real learning started when I was in Form 1. I still remembered how "jealous" I was with my friend whose uncle was generous enough to give her English story books as presents.

So how did I learn my English. Well , I have Mr Ong as my English teacher when I was in Form Five. During his time, we would always do exercises from the text book, and he will always be sitting at the teacher's table , marking our essays, I suppose.

Still my learning didn't stop there. I think it was my informal learning that helped me improve my English. For once, i had two pen-pals from Australia. They were Mandy Leigh Vale and i have forgotten the other one. We would always be writing to one another, exchanging gifts like T-shirts and so on. I love the friendship back then, it stopped when I furthered my studies overseas , in USA. She wrote to me, but i was too busy to reply back... I regret that.. Wonder where she is now..

Another thing I remember doing was reading novels. I loved reading novels... I could finish a 300 page book in only 2 to 3 days. Imagine reading while having my lunch or dinner, or way into the night.. Couldn't imagine those days???

Well, I have acquired a wide vocabulary then but one thing that i couldn't master was grammar. It was not until I took my KPLI course that I really learn my grammar. What I can say is that nobody likes grammar but it is very important that you learn it so that you can write well.....

That's all for now.....

1 comment: