The different characters found in the novel :
edited from source : CDC
What They Do To Help
Why They Help
1. He helps Rory come with an excuse for Mrs.
Foley as to why Rory had not passed up his
2. He is a good listener and although he
conveys his mother’s messages / opinions
to Rory, he himself is worried about the
burden of responsibility that his dear friend
has to bear.
3. Darren comes up with the solution that
Rory and Granda could ‘escape’ to his
mother’s secluded but comfortable
caravan when Rory knew he had to take his
grandfather away from Rachnadar. Rory
swears Darren to secrecy and in turn the
latter sneaks Rory the spare key of the
4. Later, Darren texts Rory to warn him that
the police know where Rory and his
grandfather are and encourages him to run
Darren Fisher is Rory’s best pal and genuinely likes Granda too.
1. When Rory and Granda have to leave the first caravan, and are unable to run away fast because of Granda‘s health, Sammy comes up from behind to lead them out of the police search. He practically offers his help, leading them through the trees and bushes.
2. Sammy explains that the police would have got to Rory and Granda if he and Tyrone had not helped them instead. They had actually recognised them after watching the television and decided that they would be the ones to help when it was needed.
3. Sammy understood Granda’s initial mistrust of them but he was willing to drive the camper van out of police scrutiny and move on to his brother’s place far south to Dundee.
4. At the railway station, Sammy gives Rory his mobile number and makes Rory promise that he will call Sammy if he needed anything.
A kind man, he wants to help the two of them escape the police and the media.
Annie and Rab
1. Rab takes them under his wing when he
sees that Granda is unable to continue
driving the stolen car and allows them to
stay in his flat.
2. Rab is keen to get a doctor to look into
Granda’s health and reassures Rory that he
would (not) turn them in.
3. It is Rab who first suggests to Rory that he
should go to Liverpool to meet his father.
4. When the police are looking for the stolen
car, Rab comes up with the idea of driving
to the border and to hand them over to his
girlfriend, Annie who would then take them
closer to Liverpool.
5. Annie later drives them to Norma’s house.
Rab is the petrol station attendant who recognises them and wants to help them.
Annie is Rab’s girlfriend.
Norma and Nicola
1. Norma prepares a great dinner for both of
them. Nicola is adamant that the both of
them have done the correct thing.
2. Norma has agreed to drive them to
3. Norma actually tells the police when she
realises that Rory’s dad has to know of their
whereabouts. (What do you think of Norma, has
she done the right thing? )
Norma is Annie’s cousin.
Nicol is Norma’s daughter.
1. Cares for Granda and provides him with the
2. Is very concerned about Rory and about
how he has to care for his grandfather at
such a young age.
3. He is fond of both Rory and Granda – thinks
they are like “a doubleact”.
4. Tell Mister McIntosh that he is indeed a
lucky man to have a grandson like Rory
5. He is concerned for both of them and was
going to do his best to get a home help.
Finally, he arranges for Val Jessup – a social
worker, to take care of the affairs of Granda
An old family friend and doctor who cares for Granda and is also worried for Rory and his responsibilities.
1. She is nervous about Rory living alone in the
flat after the fire mishap and so drives him
to the children’s home in Castle Street.
2. She takes Rory to the hospital to see his
grandfather but keeps her worries about
the latter’s health a secret.
3. Eventually, it is she who tells Rory that the
authorities have moved granda to the old
people’s home and that Rory, being young,
really cannot take the responsibility of
caring for his aged and unwell grandfather.
4. When Rory and his grandfather are on the
run, Val Jessup appears on TV to address
them, appealing for them to get in touch,
stating that the authorities were only
worried abut them and that it was granda’s
health that was the main concern.
A social worker who, in her enthusiasm in her first case, really takes to heart about Granda and Rory.
edited from source : CDC